The 31st Annual Clark County Mule Festival was held September 16th, 17th, & 18th in Kahoka, MO. This years event featured crafts, flea markets, mule shows, trail rides, and a rodeo. Over the weekend, there were 291 contestants with their Mules participating in the events to win a handmade trophy, ribbon, and many wonderful prizes donated by area merchants who support the Clark County Mule Festival. Commemorative books were sold throughout the festival.
This year the Clark County Fairgrounds were filled with 317 Campers. New this year was a Camper Raffle drawing that was held on Friday afternoon with a prize of a Fire Ring. Tracy & Steve Wagner of Ft. Madison, IA were the winners.
On Wednesday, the local Head Start and Pre-K classes came out to the fairgrounds to visit, have a wagon ride, and all were provided snacks & drinks. On Thursday morning, 5 wagons and teams went to the Clark County Nursing Home to visit with the residents and offer wagon rides to those who wished to take part.
Area elementary schools participated in a mule coloring page contest, which was put on display for the weekend; Erin Bash of Running Fox, a 5th grader was the winner. The winner of the 2016 Colorado Log Cabin Quilt was Randy Lipper of Revere, MO. Winner of the $1000 give away was Paula Wendling of Kahoka, MO.
Golden Horse & Mule Shoe Contest: Tuesday - Olivia Swindler, age 4, found shoe on a trash barrel; Golden Shoe: Wednesday - Garret Wintermyer; Golden Shoe: Thursday - Brian Overhulser won for Next Year - 1 Free Day of Camping.
Elenor Denning, age 106, on Thursday came to Festival and rode in a mule wagon. Two years ago a new event was added for Thursday afternoon. Due to many requests, the Camper Cookoff returned this year. The Chili Cook Off consisted of 8 Kinds of Chili with three judges. “Number 7” Chili entered by Travis Devine was declared winner.
Tanya Collop, DVM, state mule inspector, was at the front gate on Friday checking Coggin papers and state health papers. On Friday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. Kids on Mules were featured in front of Grand Stand and the Little Kids Games was scheduled for 3:00 p.m., unfortunately, most of the games were rained out but some participated in the livestock barn by front gate. The annual fish fry was held Friday evening in the 4-H pavilion, as well.
Saturday morning started with 43 riders participating in the trail ride. The mule show started at 10:00 a.m. with the Clark County Marching Band performing several songs, as well as the National Anthem. The Grand Entry followed the band with a presentation of flags, many mules, and wagons.
Gabby Kirchner, 2015 Old Settler’s Princess, on Saturday presented trophies, ribbons & prizes.
The Rodeo began on Saturday night with a presentation of flags and the singing the National Anthem. The VFW Post 4342 Ladies Auxiliary, of Kahoka, MO, did a commemorative balloon release for the MIA’s, POW’s and active people serving in the armed services. The grandstands and bleachers were standing room only on a beautiful September evening.
Sunday morning began with a trail ride with 13 riders heading out. Church services were held in the grandstand provided by the Fellowship of Christian Cowboys.
Russ Carnahan, running for Missouri St. Governor, & wife Debra visited on Sunday morning. Both rode a mule, road in a wagon belonging to Richard Strader & rode in Grand Entry.
2016 Clark County Mule Festival Events Results
Team Hitch & Un-Hitch:
1. Lawerence Kraber; 2. Ed Wintermeyer; 3. Chad Brotherton
Musical Tires - 11-16 age:
1. Anna Hartzler; 2. Erica Tormin; 3. Angela Riddle
Musical Tires - 16 & Over:
1. Wes Royland; 2. Mindy Strader; 3. Chris Coultran
Musical Tires - Pee Wee 10 & Under:
1. Cody Blind; 2. Arabella Strader; 3. Parker Melton,
1. Lawerence Kraber, 29.59; 2. Jeff Wilson, 32.62; 3. Tony Garrett, 33.78; 4. Jim Bash, 35.69; 5. Chad Brotherton, 41.15
Egg & Spoon - 16 & Over:
1. Christy Blind; 2. Mindy Strader; 3. Kari Fedderson
Egg & Spoon - 16 & Under:
1. Anna Hartzler; 2. Erica Tormin; 3. Calissa Watkins
Team Egg & Spoon:
1. Chad Brotherton; 2. Tony Garrett; 3. Richard Strader
Bat-N-Barrel - Adults:
1. Kate Cline; 2. Rhley DeJong; 3. Wes Rowland
Bat-N-Barrel - Youth:
1. Anna Hartzler; 2. Kendra Watkins; 3. Aiden Golsten
1. Mike Wright & Chelsea Wright - 11.00; 2. Craig Church & Randy Salsaberry - 13.09; 3. Jacob Vestal & Josh Vestal - 13.75
1. Dale Seeck & Kendra Watkins - 15.82; 2. Connor Golston& Aliza Collier - 18.34; 3. Erin Bash & Hanna Hill - 20.22
Adult Tag :
1. KC Chockey; 2. Todd DeJong; 3. Troy DeJong
Back to Back:
1. Erika & Tyler Tormin; 2. Kendra & Melissa Watkins; 3. Jacob & Josh Vestal
1. Wes Rowland; 2. Mindy Strader; 3. Chris Coltrain
Mule Jumps - Small Mules:
1. Richard Long - 50 inches; 2. Tony Teninty- 48 inches; 3. Chris Coltrain - 46 inches
Big Mule Jumps:
1. Marcus Furnish - 52 inches; 2. Madison Furnish - 50 inches; 3. Chloe Teninty- 48 inches
Clark County Mule Festival Royalty
KING - Pat Coulter;
PRINCE - Brenden Conneh;
QUEEN - Christy Blind;
PRINCESS - Anna Hartzler
SATURDAY RODEO RESULTS
Bulls - Colton Weldon - 83
1. Aiden Golston - 27.09; 2. Isabelle Wright - 30.22; 3. Carla Collier - 51.34
1. Chelsea Wright - 16.31; 2. Christy Blind - 17.53; 3. Ashlee Wilson - 18.21
1. Anna Hartzler - 17.87; 2. Celsie Barlow - 18.69; 3. Nova Cline - 22.19
1. Troy DeJong; 2. Kolton Smith; 3. Cody Weaver
Wild Steer Catch:
1. Cody Weaver/Colton Weldon
1. Jim Bash - 27.68; 2. Tony Garrett - 30.43; 3. Lawerence Kraber - 32.88; 4. Jeff Wilson - 34.88; 5. Chad Brotherton - 37.08
SUNDAY EVENT RESULTS
1. Craig Church - Church Family & Teeter Family
1. Connor Galston; 2. Thomas VanDeurer; 3. Betty Victory
Team Hitch & Un-Hitch:
1. Ed Wintermeyer; 2. Jim Bash
Three Leg Race - Youth:
1. Connor & Aiden Golston; 2. Liberty Henderson & Elizabeth Van Devuer; 3. Nathan Butler & Kayla Butler
Three Leg Race - Adult:
1. Cody Weaver & Brandi Padget; 2. Craig Church & John Kleinert; 3. Kiara Brunk & Jamie Brunk
Dotty Patron - Youth:
1. Angela Riddle, 35.19; 2. Emma Smith, 46.06; 3. Nova Cline, 49.90;
Dotty Patron - Adult:
1. Chelsea Wright, 45.09; 2. Brandy Padgett, 45.47; 3. John Kleinert, 54.88;
Mule Jumps :
1. Lawerence Kraber, 1200 pds.
1. Kendra & Melissa Watkins, 33.91; 2. Owen Burr & Angela Riddle, 36.13; 3. Cody Weaver & Jamie Bash, 36.53,
1. Chelsea & Mike Wright, 12.44; 2. Cody Weaver & Jamie Bash, 14.10; 3. Kalissa & Kendra Watkins, 15.62,
Golf Ball Race:
1. Mike Wright, 7.15; 2. Chelsea Wright, 8.69; 3. Christy Blind, 9.97
1. Christy Blind & Jason Leffler, 14.28; 2. Jamie Bash & Cody Weaver, 14.28; 3. Mike & Bella Wright, 15.65,
1. Chloe Tentity, 44 inches; 2. Craig Church, 42 inches; 3. Erin Bash, 42 inches
It takes many volunteers and the help of other organizations to keep the Clark County Mule Festival running smoothly every year. The Clark County R-1 FFA helped with parking and shuttles, while buttons were sold by a Relay for Life group and the Clark County Middle School Boosters provided the trash pickup. A big thank you from the Clark County Mule Festival Committee goes out to all the volunteers and help who make this a great annual event, as well as the many contestants, spectators, and vendors who turn out to participate. We would also like to thank our community for supporting our endeavors through the years. Remember, you can keep up-to-date with us throughout the year and see pictures from past years by following us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/clarkcountymulefestival/) or visiting our website (www.clarkcountymulefestival.com). We hope to see you next year at the 32nd Annual Clark County Mule Festival on September 15, 16, & 17, 2017!